Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Monkey See, Monkey Do

We looked last night at the term monkey see, monkey do.  We addressed the fact that we can both be the monkey and the soldiers (in the video).  We can be influenced by things in this world (as the monkey was), and we can also both positively and negatively influence people as well (as the soldiers did).

We were then able to take the example of the video to further build that point.  In the video that we made, all the actors influenced and were influenced negatively - or the opposite of being influenced in a Godly manner.  One fed off the next and it was a vicious cycle.

But when the actors were influenced by God, or responded in a Godly manner, the outcome was vastly different!!!

The dishes weren't such a huge bother because Emily was honoring her mother.  Jacob spilling the candy wasn't the end of the world either because Merci was actively pursuing God and His Word.  The football game wasn't worth freaking out about because it was viewed in the right perspective.  When I saw the coach flipping out on TV, I realized that show of emotion would negatively influence the way I played sports.  So when the reff blew the call, I was able to respond in a Godly manner.  I felt that it was important to not get up and skip around like I was glad that the call was blown!!!  We don't have to like when bad things happen to us - just view them in the right perspective.  Remember, I'm not asking anyone to be fake, or put on a front - that will actually turn people away.

The last thing that we looked at was the cross.  I asked you to copy the picture on the screen, then to trace it.

By far, it was easier to trace the design then to try and do it all by yourself!

Guys, it's the same way with God and the Bible!  We can try and be "good" or remember stories from Sunday School 8 years ago, or we can open the Bible and literally "trace" out what God wants us to do!!!

That's what we will be doing this week.  I apologize for saying that I won't do these if a whole bunch of you don't sign up!  If one of you does what I'm putting out here, then it would be worth it!  So here goes:

Our theme verse for this year is - 1 Timothy 4:12  here is the link www.youversion.com. I want all of us to memorize that verse for next Monday.

After you memorize it, start living it!!!  In the second half it says, "but set an example for the believers in speech, in life, in love, in faith and in purity."

I don't want you to be overwhelmed by the enormity of all of those commands, so let's start with the first one. For the rest of today (or whenever you read this), and all day tomorrow let's work on our speech.

One of the passages that I used was Ephesians 4:29-5:2.  I want you to read that again and really focus on two areas.  Obviously verse 29 (speech), but also 5:1.  We should LITERALLY trace the picture that God has given us!!!  God is telling us to COPY HIM!  We get to cheat on the test!!!  We have an open book exam, and it starts today!

So the things I want you to do today/tomorrow are:

1.  Read and memorize 1 Timothy 4:12
2.  Read Ephesians 4:29-5:2
3.  Watch your mouth!!!!  Every time something unwholesome comes out of your mouth, put a penny or a quarter (or if you are rich $100!) in a bowl.  That way you can have a reminder and really focus on what you are trying to do.

Please, please, oh pretty please comment on this post!  Let me know if it has helped/stretched/etc. you!  I pray that we will keep this focus going into tomorrow!

God bless,

Chris

No comments:

Post a Comment