Wednesday, September 21, 2011

How was your "talk" yesterday???

So I see that some of you are at least checking this out - that's great!!!  So my question for you today is pretty simple, how was your "talk" yesterday?  Did you say anything that you wish you could take back?  Did you say anything that would make someone think that you weren't a Christian?

The main verse that we looked at was Ephesians 4:29 - Do not let any unwholesome talk come out of your mouths....

How did you do yesterday?

I had a pretty cool thing happen to me!  I was coaching football and we were almost done with the game.  I still get pretty animated on the sideline (cheering my guys on), but I made sure that I cut out anything that would tear down.  The score was 0-0 with 30 seconds remaining.  We were on our 2 yard line (needed 98 yards to score!) and the other coach called a time out.  We were on the sideline and one of my players said out of nowhere, "We should pray!".  To which I said, "Great idea!!!".  So I grabbed the two guys on either side of me and prayed for our last play.  God blessed our prayer - just not on the field.  We were sacked and the clock ran out, ending the game in a tie.  But the blessing was that I didn't do ANYTHING to ruin my witness to those guys and they saw it!  That is the first time that I've ever been asked to pray during a football game!

Here is today's challenge.  Continue to not let any unwholesome talk come out of your mouths!

But now we will build on that with this from our Ephesians passage: 31 Get rid of all bitterness, rage and anger, brawling and slander, along with every form of malice.
32 Be kind and compassionate to one another, forgiving each other, just as in Christ God forgave you. 

For the next 24 hours, don't allow any bitterness, anger, or gossip to invade your life.  Pay extra attention to what's going on inside of you and how you are responding to the things around you.  The neat thing about this is that when you do that you will be able to follow verse 32 by default!  If you aren't bitter, it's a whole lot easier to be compassionate and to forgive!  
I love how Paul throws in at the end, "Just as in Christ God forgave you!".  We shouldn't hold back love and grace because God through Jesus has lavished it upon us!

So let me hear how your day went yesterday and if you need to work on anything!  Vote on the poll, click on the YouVersion link and read your Bible!!!

God bless,
Chris

2 comments: